The " Promenade des Anglais", walk of the english people in some dates
The Walk wears well its name!
From its creation, this appreciated place for walking strengthened still by the attraction of the Casino built on the pier which advances in the sea,like the Brighton Pier. This casino was named " Jetée Promenade, Pier Walk ".
The first casino of the pier was built in 1882. It burned in 1883 then was reconstructed in 1891. Finally, the Germans demolished it
Tracés GIMP sur Fond de carte SIG Nice Côte d'Azur
1823-1824, the english path, camine inglese
"It exists on the gravel of the sea, since the mouth of the Paillon river, up to the suburb of the Marble Cross in a parallel to the main road of France. It has been realized at the expense of the English Colony, which spent in Nice the winter 1823-1824.
The purpose of this work was to make the poor people work, and to get for the foreigners, and especially for the sick living in the suburb, a healthy and pleasant walk."(ref 1, P113)
This development plan of Nice plans a road of the seaside of the Paillon river to Magnan. This wide road will replace and will extend
In 1844, first part : from Paillon to Saint-Philippe
In 1856, up to Magnan
La Promenade en 1863, photo de Charles Negre, document wiki
In 1878, Magnan-Sainte-Hélène
In 1882, Sainte-Hélène- Carras
From Magnan to Carras, the district is called Bari de Masson, sometimes written Barimasson on the censuses.
In 1860, the road of France becomes the main national road and the district becomes urbanized.
On the extract of the land registry of 1870 below, between the church Sainte Hélène and the valley Barla, grounds are already expropriated for the future extension of the Promenade des Anglais. We see the plan of the Promenade, the plot of land 368. The planned Promenade is twice as wide as the main road.
In 1882, François Nespola and his wife Catherine Bouroul inhabite at Catherine's parents. The garden is close to the Promenade